Tuesday, August 25, 2009

We'll never forget our BabyGirl


I honestly can't believe that today marks 8 years since we lost our precious Angel, Aaliyah. Every Friday I listen to what's called my "Friday song" (I know, how did I ever come up with that name lol). It's Aaliyah's "Back & Forth" and it gets me ready to tackle the weekend. It's also my way of remembering her.

Over the years we saw her change and evolve from a beautiful young girl to an even more beautiful young woman. Through out her many looks Aaliyah always kept her style original. There was never a moment when I ever thought Aaliyah was trying to be like some one else.

(funny how only this year Beyonce & Ciara both released albums with shots similar to this)

From day one Aaliyah's originality was evident as she busted on the scene with her dark shades, pants hanging low, boxers showing, abs popping and hair covering half her face like some kind of pretty thug. We quickly learned that she was doing things her way, when rumors started to emerge of her marriage to R. Kelly. She was a rebel and an angel all at the same time. The original "good girl gone bad".

Her voice has it's own sound. Something that the game didn't have before her and hasn't had since. Mellow & Beautiful! (*tear)


And let's not even talk about the choreography... Fatima Robinson (Aaliyah's go-to choreographer and friend) used to do the damn thing for her babygirl. Always keeping her moves sexy, suductive and smooth, sultry but cool at the same time. We always looked forward to Aaliyah's next video not only because we knew she would come with a sick concept, never done before, but because we knew her moves would be equally as entertaining.


We Need A Resolution:
Rock the Boat:
One in a Million:

Aaliyah's talents didn't stop there. Her roles in Romeo Must Die and Queen of the Damned were just glipmses into what she had in store for the world. Now-a-days it's the norm for singers/rappers to jump on any random movie roles that come their way. I'm not by any means implying that Aaliyah was the first to ever do it, but to her contemporaries she really was a Trend-setter.





Aaliyah could do no wrong in our eyes... and somehow the rumors of her many love intertests never seemed to taint her image of innocence.







Now that's what I call a SMOOTH Operator lol!!!


Aaliyah's highly anticipated biopic is in the works and singer Keisha Chante, the Canadian "Princess of Pop" has been tapped to portray Hip-Hop's babygirl. (I smell a Major movie night coming on)


Keisha Chante:
This girl is extremely talented and I think she'll do a great job in this role.




So what do you guys think? Do they look alike?


This is one of my FAVE Aaliyah pics:

FAB!



In Central Park there is a Weeping Willow Tree planted in memory of Aaliyah located in the Cherry Hill area of the Park. Stop by there sometime.

Park Map:



Check this out:




If you have any memories to share about Aaliyah please feel free to leave a comment..........

4 comments:

Major Chedda said...

My favorite Aaliyah song of all time has too be "At Your Best".

Ty said...

Ched, remember when we found out about Aaliyah passing. I felt like all of Howard Univ shut down, at least Room 403BC-CD, Bethune Annex did. I still can't believe she passed so soon.

Of course I felt "Back and Forth" and "At Your Best", but wut did it for me was "One In A Million". That was like a coming of age song for me. The beat, courtesy of Timbaland, was never before done. Who at the time had that "puckety-puckety" beat? The lyrics, courtesy of Missy, were also ahead of their time. Pure genius! Shit, that whole album was "hot like fire"!

I miss her man, I just know that some of these chicks wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for her. I like Ciara and all (at least to an extent), but she's no Aaliyah. I let my niece who is 12 listen to Aaliyah the other day, and she thought it was new songs. Just to show how timeless her music is and will be.

I hope she's resting in peace. Much love.

Major Chedda said...

OMG Ty you are the best I can't believe you remember our room #'s lol. But yeah honestly we were distraught smh... the entire university was in shock! :(

Awww man "One in a Million" blew everyone away... her Timbo & Missy were an unstoppable force, for real! 4 page letter was ridiculous too! "up some more" lol

Could you imagine what an Aaliyah & Justin Timberlake track would sound like... HOT!! Could you picture Aaliyah & Drake :)

I loved her song with Nas "You Won't See me Tonight", that's my ish!! even her & DMX had a cute joint together. I really liked her collabo's with rappers... something about her soft voice and their hard raps made for an instant classic...

And you're right about Ciara, she's about the closest thing we have to an Aaliyah-esque type of artist (in terms of physical style & sound) and she still falls wayyy short.

idk maybe Keri... nah!

But can you really blame her tho I mean she grew up listening to Aaliyah... look at all the artists that try to emulate Mary J. and shoot she's still around lol

Unknown said...

she was definately one in a million...