Tuesday, March 16, 2010

This is why I love Hip-Hop!!


She's not the first to ever do it and she's definitely not the last. Baltimore rapper Keys is expressing her dislike (ok maybe hatred lol) for all the kids' favorite new femme fatale, Ms. Nikki Minaj.

Now I've already posted my feelings towards NM. I truly appreciate the shot of life/excitement/newness she's given to the female rap game and yes while I do cringe at some of her work I do also find her grind and business savy impressive. And yes much of her lyrics even quotable at times!!

Shes different from what's come before (in terms of delivery - not content) and I just miss having solid female artists in rotation.

I say this all the time, there are tons of male rappers in the game, some wack some nice, but for the most part they get in where they fit in and that's how we get variety in the music that's out there. We can hear an animated Luda record (never realized how much Nikki flows like him until "My Chick Bad") and at the same time we can get a Brooklyn fly guy flow from Fab.... with a splash of southern swag from Jeezy, etc.

When it comes to the females it's always a choice. It's like there's a 1 chick in the game at a time rule or something.

Long gone are the days of Foxy, Kim, Eve, Trina all having records out at the same time.

:(

But back to the issue at hand... it was only a matter of time before "the streets" spoke up on how MAAANNNNNYYYYY listeners feel out there. No surprise that it took a B-More broad (luv them) to put Nikki's antics on blast and take shots directly at her head.

I'm feeling Keys and honestly the girl can spit. Yeah yeah she's a bit outta shape and can work on her breathing skills but who isn't outta shape these days lmao! (Thats another topic)

Hip-hop was built on the conceopt of the "battle-rap" so it's only natural that females would come for Nikki's head (especially because she's on that whole plastic/fake barbie tip). Another thing hip-hop thrives on is authenticity and "realness". Yes Nikki is from the streets and only blew up through her unrelenting grind BUT her direction has comepletely gone left from that cute, relatable around the way girl from Queens that just wanted to live out her dreams -- to -- in her words the rap Miley Cyrus.

like really....

Just check out the footage and you tell me what you think. Is shorty jus a mad hater, on the corner with nothing better to do than sweat Nikki and film a fanatical video spewing hatred -OR- is this a valid lyrical rapper expressing her disgust at the bubblegum barbie bullsh*t that has taken over the game and brainwashed the kiddies?

I side with the latter.






Every day I hear people "hating" on Nikki Minaj. And I use that term hating losely because in this day and age you can't state an honest opposing opinion without being considered a "hater". But anyway thats another story as well....

I say more power to Keys. If this is the beginning of her own come up then so be it. Not only was Nikki's most reputable poster to date a replica of lil Kim's Hardcore album cover but Nikki herself did not hesitate to bash Kim & Foxy along her rise to the top.


All I know is Hip Hop aint dead!!



"I'm speaking for the hood they said you wak Im sorry / Ima grownass woman what I need wit a barbie"

No comments: