Thursday, December 24, 2009

Happy Kwanzaa 2009!!!!!!!!!!!!



Ok everyone... so I know you all are running around trying to get all the last minute gifts for your loved ones this Christmas and while I do celebrate Christmas I just wanted to acknowledge another important holiday that is fast approaching................................. and that's Kwanzaa!!!!

My family has been celebrating Kwanzaa for over 7 years and I always look forward to this time of reflection and re-focusing to help me transition into the new year. Kwanzaa is celebrated during the Christmas and New Years season for a very deliberate reason. It encourages us to see our beauty as a people as well as the true importance of the holidays, which is family, unity, and our responsibility for each others' wellfare. It also allows us to prepare ourselves mentally for the next year.


Through the 7 principles of Kwanzaa I am able to look back at the passing year and see what I've learned about myself, others, and life as a whole.

The thing about Kwanzaa is that we are suppose to live each principle all days of the year. Its sort of like a character building checklist of things that we can do to improve ourselves and our brothers and sisters.


Ngozo Saba (7 Principles)



UMOJA (Unity)


KUJICHAGULIA (Self-Determination)


UJIMA (Collective Work & Responsibility)


UJAMAA (Cooperative Economics)


NIA (Purpose)


KUUMBA (Creativity)


IMANI (Faith)


I love that the last principle of Kwanzaa is Imani - Faith. It is the one most important thing that we need to rely on when moving into the new year... the unknown. We must have faith in ourselves and in each other that we will continue to strive towards our greatest potentials.




I am not trying to kick knowledge........ well actually yes, I guess I am. But you know what, that is my responsibility. It's all of our responsibilities to better ourselves and those around us and share in all that we have whether it be food for our body or food for our souls.



If you've ever celebrated Kwanzaa or even if you haven't please feel free to leave a comment on what your thoughts are about this Holiday!................................................................................

No comments: