Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Go Getta Girls NEVER Take No for an answer!

I saw this very upsetting yet inspirational video while doing my daily rounds in the matrix and I had to share it with you guys.

"Renee Thompson is trying to make it as a top fashion model in New York. She's got the looks, the walk and the drive. But she’s a black model in a world where white women represent the standard of beauty. Agencies rarely hire black models. And when they do, they want them to look “like white girls dipped in chocolate.”

The Colour of Beauty is a shocking short documentary that examines racism in the fashion industry. Is a black model less attractive to designers, casting directors and consumers? What is the colour of beauty?"






It's really depressing to hear/see the realities of institutionalized racism that is alive and well in many industries around the world.


I mean, the fact that we currently have our first Black President in office you would think that Black models finding more opportunities in their field is a given!
No, I'm not at all implying that just because we have a Black President then all's automatically well in the world (boy-oh-boy how "they" would love for us to think like that). I simply mean that, how do we ever really consider ourselves as taking a step forward when things like this are happening all around us. smh!


In this Go-Getta-Girl's own words: "IT'S NOT OKAY THAT YOU FEEL THAT I AM DIFFERENT OR LESSER THAN SO I'M GOING TO STAY RIGHT HERE AND BE A SORE IN YOUR EYE UNTIL YOU REALIZE WHAT I'M GOOD FOR!"

You tell them Renee!!

I wish her much success with her career in modeling and with the drive that she clearly possess I am more than certain that I will be seeing/hearing more from her!


Have you ever experience blatent (or underhanded) racism in your field? Please share.........................................................

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HELLO LOVE UR BLOG CHECK OUT MY WWW.FASHIONLIFE-PEGGY.BLOGSPOT.COM

www.majormusthaves.com said...

This is sad... Black is beautiful!!!