Monday, June 08, 2009

Summer Jam '09




We in here!

This year was the last year that Hot 97's Summer Jam concert would be held at its home stage for years now, Giants Stadium. The concert has become an integral part of the New York/Tri-State Area Hip-Hop culture. From the "pilgramage" on the highways to the parking lot pimping to the fashion show that all in attendance put on to see the most revered artists of the year... I LOVE the entire experience of Summer Jam @ Giants Stadium. I couldn't miss this one yall!!

If rappers have a beef it gets aired out right on this stage. Jay-Z displaying the infamous picture of Prodigy (Mobb Deep) in a ballerina tu-tu comes to mind lol. And one could always expect the unexpected like when Michael Jackson made a surprise appearance some years back. Hot new artist making a name for themselves get to showcase their perfortmance skills to the Tri-State and we get reminded of why the best performers like, Red & Meth and Busta, deserve that title.

I'm so glad the artists didn't disappoint this year. Most brought their A-Game. The reggae boys did their THING!! Movado, Serani and the energy God himself, Elephant man performed around 7pm and seemed to set the tone for all the acts that followed.

Yall already know Flatbush, Brooklyn was going MOD at this point lol

A couple a vets...

Bussa-Bus
And of course the hottest rapper moving right now (well... until Jay drops the Blueprint 3), Drake, came to show everyone that he's the best! I was NOT feeling homie's fit too much but what more can I expect from the ex-Nickelodeon actor.
Say what you want but I'm riding with Drake and I'm far from a bandwagoner... I've done my homework and I'm co-singing his hype! Just not his stylist!!

The guy with one of the hottest song this summer (Jeremih) did his thing!!"Girl you know I-I-I" :)

sidenote: Where have all the women in Hip-Hop gone?!?!

While I was completely disappointed in the lack of female presence at the show my favorite performer of the night had to be the queen of R&B soul, Mary J!
She looked beautiful and rocked the entire stadium like the veteran that she is.

Feeling the Gucci Iman Triple Ankle Strap Sandals Mary!
She sang old songs, new songs... and just overall sang her heart out! I loved every minute!
and here's a clip of Mary sharing her thoughts on the concert and your boy Drake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKfpG1oUQhY&feature=player_embedded

The Kim came out and kep repping the ladies as she performed her new joint "Download" with T-Pain
Fresh off her stint on Dancing with the Start, get it girl!
I'll save the analysis of why such a beautiful girl went in with the plastic surgery like this for another post





If you went to the concernt this year, or even if you didn't, please feel free to leave a comment sharing your thoughts......

1 comment:

Ty said...

Looks like Summer Jam was poppin'. Definitely, feeling the movement that Jay is coming with. D.O.A is a much needed track at this time in Hip Hop, it's getting real clownish and ridiculous out here. We need that splash of water!

On another note, when you said "Where are all the female hip hop artist?!" I've been thinking the same thing myself for a minute now. This chick they got, Nikki Minaj, I'm not sure about her. She's kind of unbelievable. Like it's an act or something.

But as far as Kim goes... where do I begin?! That's definitely a blog I need you to get started on because my mind is overflowing on comments for that one already! But all in all, looks like Summer Jam went down this year.