Monday, June 15, 2009

Weekend Outing: The New York Aquarium


This weekend had to be one of the busiest I've had in a while. I went to a babyshower, a dance recital in Jersey, the New York Aquarium, and then ran into the entire Puerto Rican Day Parade crowd who must of decided to meet up at the Canarsie Pier around 8pm. And this was all on Sunday. But it was lots of fun!

It's funny how when we're young we go on school trips to the coolest places and to us (well at least to me) the best part of it all is the fact that we won't have any class all day and most likely won't have any homework due the next day! Places like the South Street Seaport, the Empire State Building, The Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and The New York Aquarium are all places that I probably would have never visited had it not been for those class trips. I'm starting to realize that not only until we have kids do most of us (young adults) have time to think about those foundational and educational kinds of experiences. And even then we leave that responsibility to the school. We have too much TV to watch, too much myspacing, facebooking and blogging to keep up with! Or maybe that's just ME! lol

Anyway, the point is I had alot of fun at the Aquarium this weekend! My better half and I acted like a couple of curious kids. Well... actually there wasn't much acting involved at all. We were honestly super excited!

It was his idea to go... and I didn't see a reason to object. We were only going to spend that money on food and drinks over at Footprints Restaurant on Shell Avenue anyway. I'd say we made the right choice.

I decided to dedicate this outing to getting to the bottom of what we all are dying to know. ..
Where's NEMO!!!!!! :)


BUT I had to see these creatures first:



This was the first guy I saw upon entering the aquarium, what a wing span. I must say he looks better from the bottom than he does from the top.








This is definitely my least favorite creature of the sea, ugh!


Now this fish I just don't get. It actually has lungs. Doesn't that go against every rule of nature? So who can tell me where this fish is from? Leave a comment with your guess...




I think it's so cute how Otters hold hands through everything they do. From sleeping to just floating around in the water...

Believe it or not these guys groom themselves most of the day... but the tank still smelled pretty gross to me... I'm just sayin.


I've never seen a chick rocking an Otter fur.... I had no idea they were hunted to the brink of extinction fot their valuable coats. I guess in some places of the world it's not about how it looks but the purpose it serves. i.e. Alaska



This is a not-so-good picture of the seals waving at us. We got there too late to see the live show with the trainers. Boo!






Here are the suits; ever since Madagascar I can't help but to think that Penguins are always up to something :)


My boo was excited seeing the sharks!

Me... not so much!


OK, let's try this again.... nice sharkey






They has a staring match, guess who won!
I'm thinking: "Are they sure these tanks are solid???"
Now that's a mean mug!


These cutie pies were in the tank with the sharks...

He wanted all the attention and kept coming for his close up....
The croc exibit was Gross! Do you see the baby mice at the bottom of the tank? Yuck! But he would make a cute belt :)... I'm just saying... ok ok that's wrong, I take it back.



OK, so this would totally be my digs if I were a water creature...
I love the Coral Reef... the fish are so bright and beautiful, it's amazing!

It's like Times Square underwater



Only nature can make 'em like this!


Love it!

The Jellyfish were really cool too!


Hey, we're totally getting closer.... this is the anemone! Where Nemo lives...


The New York Aquarium is a part of the WCS, which works to save wildlife and wild lands all over the globe.

Here's a saddening little tid bit of information that I learned while there...






I always liked these critters...
Dried Seahorses for trading :(


Say cheese BIG Guy



Good news guys... so I found Nemo and Dori and not to worry... they're doing just fine! :)




Exiting in Style!


What a day!




If you've visited the New York Aquarium or have any other interesting places to suggest please feel free to leave a comment........

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those penguins definitely look like they are up to something!

Anonymous said...

i had a wonderful time with my baby! sharks rule...lol

Shytina Love said...

i LOve the pictures!!