Friday, September 11, 2009

Remebering



Hey all! I just wanted to share some thoughts on the anniversary of one of the most horrific days in American history; Septerber 11, 2001. I have to be honest, at first I didn't really want to blog about 9/11. I actually tried to tip-toe around it for most of the day. I have the tendency to get extremely emotional and I didn't think that I was up to the tears and sorrow today. But then I thought about how many people lost and sacrificed their lives 8 years ago and I realized that remembering them and blogging about my memories of 9/11 is the absolute least that I could do in their honor.


I remember being a freshman at Howard University just getting myself together for class when this alarming news came on TV. A plane struck the twin towers...

None of us could believe these tragic events were really true. It was surreal watching everyone in Lower Manhattan run for cover, confused and amazed at what was happening right before their eyes. And as the first tower fell everyone was covered in a sheet of powdery ash. It was that visual image that symbolized just how unifying this day would become to us all. For a moment in time we stopped being black & white, rich & poor... we were all compassionate people genuinely concerned for each other's well being...


All my friends were already so emotionally fragile as it was. We were just beginning to accept the recent passing of our beloved Aaliyah. And then this mother load of all diasters hit us head on and we were all devastated by the inhumane actions that those cowardly few chose to carry out on this day 8 years ago.

And it only got worse!! As we were trying to cope with the madness on the TV screen reality came to meet us in D.C. as Flight 77 smashed into the Pentagon building only about 9 miles away from Campus. I remebered thinking were we next to get hit?
The smoke from the Pentagon was visible from our doorm windows and the fear and confusion grew stronger, smh!!





9/11 has not only physically reshaped our skyline but has psychologically reshaped our reality.

No matter what our city looks like, we will always remember the beautiful souls we lost that day. And because of their sacrifice we have to fight stronger to keep freedom and democracy alive. No nation should have to live in fear and I think because of 9/11 we try harder everyday to make sure we don't have to.

Now I know that there are many views on what the true cause of these attacks are. These are just my thoughts and opinions. I refuse to believe in a conspiracy theory that our government was behind 9/11. Yes, maybe there were signs that were ignored, and yes maybe there are facts that are kept from the general public but at the end of the day there were thousands of innocent hard working civilians and civil servants that we lost and today is a day for remebering and honoring them!


If you're interested to hear more, learn more, or observe more about 9/11 check out this site: www.allbonjovi.com/9-11/1.html
There are amazing testimonials of people who were actually in the Towers at the time of the attacks, as well as memorials from those who lost loved ones in the ordeal. It also gives detailed time breakdowns of the events of the day, the structure of the buildings and other interesting things.

Your light will always shine bright in our hearts!! R.I.P. to everyone we lost!







Please feel free to share your feelings and thoughts about the Tragic September 11th Terrorist Attacks on America..................................

1 comment:

Unknown said...

what a great posting! 911 is also the reason for the Patriot Act....Giving up our freedom to be free...Big Brother is listening and watching.